Importance of Thyroid Test – Types, Procedure, and Result
Your butterfly-shaped gland needs attention and cares too. Being situated in the front of the neck, the thyroid gland plays a vital role in controlling the metabolism rate, converting energy from the food and the sexual development of the body.
A thyroid test is essential to check the functioning of the thyroid gland. A thyroid profile test checks how well your thyroid gland is working and detects any abnormalities or disease.
A thyroid gland forms two major types of hormones in the body; one is triiodothyronine (T3) and the other one is thyroxine (T4). These hormones are essential for maintaining the metabolism rate of the body and converting energy from the food we consume.
Thyroid disease takes place when the amount of thyroid hormone is low or high in the body. A low level of thyroid hormone in the body leads to a condition known as hypothyroidism. On the other hand, a high level of thyroid hormone results in the condition of hyperthyroidism.
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism include:
- Sudden weight loss.
- Irregular heartbeat or rapid increase in heart rate.
- Increase in appetite.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism include:
- Muscle weakness.
- Coarse skin.
- Swollen face.
The TSH normal range is 0.5 to 5.0 mIU/L. Any rise or fall in the level indicates thyroid disorder and a thyroid profile test act as an effective test to detect any thyroid disease.
What is Thyroid Function Test?
The Thyroid Function Test determines the current health condition of the thyroid. It also helps the doctor to monitor the treatment applied for curing thyroid disease.
The types of tests included in the thyroid profile test are:-
TSH or Thyroid Stimulating Hormone checks the functionality of the thyroid gland. When a person has thyroid disease, the thyroid gland stops producing enough hormone needed by the body. Then, at that time the pituitary gland releases more TSH. Similarly, when the thyroid gland produces more hormone, the pituitary gland releases less TSH.
T3 test determines the hyperthyroidism in the body as it checks the status of the major thyroid hormone.
The total T4 test measures the entire amount of thyroid hormone in the blood that is fixed with the blood protein. On the flip side, the Free T4 test measures the amount of thyroid hormone which is not fixed with the blood protein.
Thyroid Antibody Test
There are two types of thyroid antibodies in the body; thyroid peroxidase antibodies and the other is thyroglobulin antibodies. The thyroid antibody test in the thyroid profile test helps the doctor in checking the level of antibodies in the body.
Causes of Thyroid Disease
The main reasons behind thyroid disease are as follows:
- Iron deficiency is one of the major causes of thyroid cell disorder.
- Grave’s Disease causes hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s disease leads to hypothyroidism.
- Other than these, some other factors cause thyroid cell disorder like inflammation or pain. The pain or inflammation is caused due to the accumulation of bacteria or viruses.
How to prepare yourself for the thyroid profile test?
One does not need any certain specifications before appearing for the test. But, they must consult their doctor to know how to prepare themselves for the test. You may or may not need to fast for the test but that depends upon the doctor. Hence, connect with renowned and trusted doctors to get proper information about the test. The doctor collects a sample of blood to measure the rise or fall of thyroid hormone in the blood.
Preventive Measures to control the effect of Thyroid Disease:-
There are some preventive measures to control the effect of thyroid disease. The tips are as follows:
- The first and foremost tip is eating healthy foods. This tip is mostly preferred irrespective of any type of disease. Eating healthy means having a balanced diet that comprises all types of vitamins and nutrients along with the right amount of carbs, fats, and protein.
- Next, comes the physical activeness of the body. So that needs to be maintained by doing regular exercise, walking or cycling. One must take out sometimes from their daily activity for some sort of physical exercise. Doing so will not only keep one healthy but makes them free from any kind of diseases.
- Avoid smoking and excessive drinking as it causes a negative impact on the overall functioning of the body. The more the consumption, the more you are at the risk of developing harmful diseases.
- Work on your stress level by engaging your mind in recreational activity. Too much stress worsens someone’s health even more. Control your anxiety and depression to make yourself free from any sort of health complication.
- Say no to processed foods or junk foods. Eating unhealthy snacks or junk food always affects the body. It increases the weight of the body and being overweight or obese is the root cause of various diseases.
When should a thyroid test be done?
The thyroid test should be done as soon as you came across the symptoms of thyroid disease. The symptoms of thyroid disease are fatigue, anxiety, loss of appetite, constipation, and weakness. So, if you are currently experiencing any of these signs then you must visit your nearest doctor for a thyroid function test.
What is the cost of a thyroid test?
The thyroid test price varies from one health center to another. But the range of the test is between Rs. 500/- to Rs.700/-.
Keeping your thyroid health is also important as it plays a major role in controlling the metabolism rate of the body. Hence, whenever a person sees any sign of thyroid disease they must go for a thyroid profile test. The test prevents worsening conditions and also allows doctors to suggest suitable medication to cure thyroid disease.
Get in touch with Redcliffe Labs, a diagnostic centre in India to get a thyroid test at a reasonable cost. Call the team today for more updates on other tests as well.